Classic Caesar Salad with crisp homemade croutons and a delicious, traditional caesar salad dressing.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup minced fresh garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp anchovy paste or anchovies ground in a food processor
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cups parmesan, grated
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 loaf country or french bread, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- salt to taste
- Whisk together the garlic, anchovy, salt & lemon juice. Add egg yolks and whisk until thick, about 1minute.
Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking or using an immersion blender so the mixture emulsifies. Whisk in parmesan.
- Lightly toast bread cubes on a baking pan in a 350 degree oven.
- Combine olive oil, garlic & parsley in bowl.
- Remove cubes from oven, let cool slightly.
- Sprinkle bread cubes with salt and then drizzle olive oil mixture over. Toss to coat well. Bake in oven until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.
To Assemble Caesar Salad
- ½ head romaine lettuce per personCaesar Dressing to taste (1-2 oz. per person)CroutonsParmesan, to garnish
- Tear romaine lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Rinse and dry.
- Toss lettuce in dressing.
- Place on serving plates, top with croutons and sprinkle with cheese.
If concerned about salmonella, first coddle the eggs to be used for the dressing: Set eggs in small bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand one minute. Immediately run cold water into the bowl until the egg can be easily handled. Crack egg open and separate.